How Can Family and Friends Help?
- Face the hearing impaired person directly and be at the same eye level when you are talking to him
- Don't shout, speak normally
- Reduce the level of background noise e.g. turn off TV or radio while you have a conversation with him/her
- Try not to stand too far away from him when you want to converse with him
- Keep your hands away from your face. When your face is covered, he/she may not be able to get sufficient visual input
- Be sure that light is not shining in his or her eyes